Monday, November 1, 2010

Dried Taro Stem (말린 토란대=MalLin ToRanDae)


In South Korea, Taro is called ToRan (토란) meaning “egg from earth”, and the corm is stewed and the leaf stem is stir-fried. Taro roots can be used for medicinal purposes, particularly for curing insect bites. I tried to find this in Korean stores here (USA) but I couldn’t. My mom sent this to me from Korea. I tried to think of what kind of vegetables you can substitute for this, if you can’t find it. When I consider the texture, I recommend oyster mushroom or Enokitake mushroom. Those substitutes are especially good when making the Korean soup YukGaeJang.

Read more from Wikipedia…


  • Use:
    Side-dish, Ingredient for soup (YukGaeJang)
  • Storage:
    Keep in the cabinet.
  • Types:
    If you get dried Taro Stems, soak them in water at least one night before you use them for cooking. This will get rid of the small bitter flavor, and they will become soft to eat. Wash them well, and boil them for some time before using them as an ingredient.
  • Short Korean lesson:
    MalLin (말린) = Dried
    ToRanDae (토란대) = Taro Stem

No comments:

Post a Comment