Monday, November 1, 2010

Sesame oil (참기름=ChamGiReum)




This is Sempio organic sesame oil. In Korea, you can buy sesame oil in any grocery store, but many moms like to make their own sesame oil at a mill. Before doing so, they will check the quality of the mill’s seeds first or they will bring their own seeds to make sure that only top quality seeds are used to make their oil. The check the seed quality for two reasons: for health (organic, etc.) and for better taste. Since moving to the USA, I have not had good sesame oil, but oh my, when I tried the Sempio brand of sesame oil, I can see why it is called organic. I liked the flavor, and changed the taste of my dishes in a good way. It is close enough to the one I missed from Korea. I’m not sure about the price, I just guessing it will be a little more expensive than others because it is organic, but I would like to buy this the next time. I’m happy to find a good product in that point.




Sesame oil (also known as gingelly oil or til oil) is an edible vegetable oil derived from sesame seeds. Besides being used as a cooking oil in South India, it is often used as a flavor enhancer in Taiwanese, Korean, and Southeast Asian cuisine. Sesame oil contains high proportion (41%) of polyunsaturated (Omega-6 fatty acids.) It also has natural antioxidants. Light sesame oil has a high smoke point, and is suitable for frying, while heavy (dark) sesame oil (from roasted sesame seeds) has a low smoke point, and is unsuitable for frying, instead being used sparingly for seasoning, particularly in East Asian cuisine.

Read more from Wikipedia…


  • Use:
    Seasoning
  • Storage:
    Keep in the cabinet.
  • Types:
    Korean Brand Name:
    “李씨네” (First Picture) – A little better than “Assi” for flavor, but it is not the best.
    “Assi” (Second Picture) – So so (It is a little too strong, and has a fake sesame flavor in it.)
  • Short Korean lesson:
    Cham (참)=Real
    GiReum (기름)=Oil

No comments:

Post a Comment